The rules of the USAV shall be used as the general rules for play. Exceptions are listed below.
- Matches will be 2 games to 25 points rally scoring with a 27 point scoring cap. The 3rd game will be rally scoring to 15 points with a 17 point scoring cap. Once one team gets to 8 points during the third game, teams switch sides.
- Each team can use two 30 second timeouts per game.
- 6s teams must have at least 4 players to play. 4s must have at least two players to play. Teams may ‘borrow’ subs from other teams during regular season play, but NOT during playoffs.
- All teams qualify for playoffs.
- Matches will start at the scheduled time. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd games will be forfeited at 10 minutes, 20 minutes and 30 minutes late, respectively.
- The referee will toss a coin or have captains paper/rock scissors prior to the 1st and 3rd games to determine which team choses their preference for side, serve or receive.
- Teams must rotate and serve in turn. A server continues to serve until a sideout is declared. Teams rotate on first serve.
- Let serve will be in effect at all levels of play. If the served ball hits the net and goes over, playable.
- No blocking of serves. Serves may be set.
- Players can double hit on a serve or a driven ball.
- The ball cannot roll or come to rest on any part of a player’s body. Catching, lifting, pushing or throwing the ball is an error and will result in a sideout. The referee makes all decisions and calls on double hits and lifts. Decisions will be based on the type of league and division level of play. The use of feet is allowed only within the boundaries of the court.
- Three touches/plays are allowed to return the ball over the net. Four plays constitute an error and will result in a sideout. A blocked ball does not count as one of the three touches/plays. There will be no requirement for a woman to touch a ball before it is returned.
- No open handed tips are allowed in 4’s.
- Contact with the net is a fault if it interferes with play. Specifically, if a player contacts the top band of the net, or interferes with the opponent’s opportunity to play the ball.
- A player is allowed to step over the centerline if it does not interfere with the other team’s play. It is a foul if it interferes with play. This call is at the referee’s discretion.
- A ball that hits the line is in. If a ball hits the fence or the referee stand it is considered out of play.
- Balls must pass over the net on the inside of the line poles. The ball is considered out if it hits the pole.
- Players are not allowed to enter the other court to play a ball.
- Positions may be switched following a serve, however, back row players are not allowed to jump/hit/block within the 10 foot line (referee’s discretion). Players must return to and be in their rotation positions prior to each next serve.
- If there is limited space at the end line, the server is allowed to step one step over the line. All other players must be inside of the court for each serve.
- League standings will be based win percentage, not number of games won due to the potential of rainouts.
- League will use it’s descretion on the playoff format based on number of teams in the league and will
make adjustments if rain outs become necessary.
- There will be two summer sessions. Turn in registration for the second session as soon as possible to reserve a spot. First come, first serve.
- Sportsmanlike conduct is expected of all players. The referee has the power to eject any player or spectator for inappropriate behavior.
- Honor calls are expected at all times.
- Captains only are allowed to address the referee regarding calls, score or to request time-out.
- No players may make profane or vulgar remarks to officials, opponents or spectators.
- A team or player’s fee is non-refundable if they are ejected from the league for inappropriate behavior.
- No outside food or beverage allowed. Food and drink are available at the bar and restaurant.
- Children must be supervised at all times by an adult not playing on the court.
- Be safe and have fun!